Tuesday, August 10, 2010

New Surge! (Totally non-literary post)

So, I had a consult today and a week from tomorrow I am scheduled to go under the knife.  ...or, in this case, laser.  Yay!  I'm getting lasik eye surgery!  Hopefully next Thursday you delightful readers will still be getting posts from me and I won't be blind.  Eek!  No, actually, there's like a 0% risk of going blind apparently, but it's still crazy sounding!

Here's what they do:
  1. a special kind of laser comes and makes hundreds of tiny bubbles in the shape of a semi-circle under your cornea.  These bubbles pop up a tiny flap of the cornea that can then be folded back.  (ugh...gross)  This step takes about 1 minute on each eye.  Did I mention I'll be awake for this?  Can't wait...
  2. After the flaps are made, another laser comes and does the actual vision correction part on the tissue underneath the flap.  This is where they change the shape of my eye so I can see!  
  3. The flap gets folded back over, and special tear blocks get put in my eye to help with healing.
  4. The next day, if all goes well, I should be able to drive.  I just have to put eye drops in my eyes like every 2 hours for a couple weeks.  Easy Peasy Lemon Squeazy.
A little too easy if you ask me...Instead of just this vision correction, I was thinking maybe I could get little cameras put in my eyes.  That would be cool, wouldn't it?  Or maybe an overlay so I could see in infared?  OR, projectors, like in Repo! The Genetic Opera.  By the way, for those of you who haven't seen Repo, it's one of the weirdest bestest musical movies I've seen in awhile.  You have to go see it, even if only just because you get to see Paris Hilton as a crazed rich girl addicted to fame.  Oh...wait...that's like Paris in real life.  Well, anyway, her face falls off in this movie, so that makes it slightly better than real life.  

Anyway, wish me luck!

Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you the best of luck! When it's all over you will be sooooo thrilled. I haven't had it done but those who have, rave about the difference in their sight. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your lasiks. I know tons of people who've done it and they are so thrilled. No more contacts, no more glasses. It's amazing what medical science can do. They probably will start installing little night vision lenses into people's eyes some day. Pretty cool and scary at the same time.

    Anyway, I wanted to thank you so much for what you said about my query for Zombie Rabbit. I just got back from vacation. A long drive across Kansas with no access to internet, so I'm trying to catch up. Yours was the first e-mail I read and I was so flattered I started jumping up and down. Thanks for the kind words.

    Good luck again on your surgery.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! Show the love!